Thursday, January 15, 2009

Easy warm ya up recipes! :)

Slow-Cooker Chicken and Rice (Makes 4 to 6 servings)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite size pieces
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 (4oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tsp paprika
1 (16oz) container sour cream
Hot cooked rice
Garnish: ground paprika, sea salt
In slow cooker: combine chicken, soup, mushrooms(and as everyone probably already knows, I subbed another veggie for the mushrooms, not a big fan of them), and paprika. Cover, and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Stir in sour cream 30 minutes before serving. Serve over hot cooked rice. As a side dish, I heated up some frozen green beens from our garden last summer. Very easy and Deeelish! :)

Sausage and Cauliflower Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings

1 (16oz) package pork sausage
2 tbls veg oil
1/2 cup flour
2 (32oz) boxes chicken broth
2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
1 cup half-and-half
Garnish: shredded sharp Chedder(or your desired flavor) cheese, sliced green onion
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage until browned and crumbles. Remove sausage and keep drippings in pan(should equal about 1/4 cup). Reduce heat; add veg oil. Add flour, and cook, whisking to remove any lumps until light brown. Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender adn begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.
To serve, top each bowl w/desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish w/cheese and green onion. Very tasty!
I got both of these two great recipes from my latest Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.

4 comments:

photozmom said...

That cauliflower soup looks so good. Will have to try it !! The other looks good too, but pity poor Myron, I am in a SOUP mood this winter !!! Soup ALWAYS looks good to me!

Anne said...

Yummy, they sound wonderful. I am going to try the chicken recipe right after I go to walmart because I have everything I need but the mushrooms. I am going to buy the soup ingredients also. Daddy and I love soup.Thank you for the good recipes.

Katie said...

Both these recipes sound fantastic, Candace! I am going to try the soup one this weekend! Probably going to do the chicken one next week because that's a great one for dinner and leftovers for lunch.

Anne said...

I made the chicken and rice last night. Soooooooo good that daddy and I did not want to stop eating. And so very easy also. Now we love mushrooms, so I doubled the recipe and put one pound of fresh mushrooms in it.